We'll be serving with Esperanza International (www.esperanzaint.org) in developing and supporting communities by helping with different housing projects. We'll be working side by side with members of the community as well as the families whose homes we're helping to build. Through the humbling experience of working on someone's home together with various activities and interactions with the community, we're able to develop a deeper and lasting understanding of life in this part of Mexico and what it truly means to serve those in need beyond borders.

Saturday, August 3, 2013

OMG - by Brenna


OMG!! Mexico I am back, baby!  I have missed you but now that I am back, I want to work harder than ever for you and your citizens.  I can’t wait for the oncoming days to come when all three of the churches are united under two goals; to a difference in someone’s life and strengthen not just themselves but also, their spiritual connection to God.  But speaking of today, it was a ton of fun!  I made friends with the nice stewardesses upon our flight to San Diego.  Their names are Kim, Dena, and Amanda, and they wish to have our flight back.   They are very sweet but I am definitely jealous of their next stop to Cabo. San Diego airport has a rustic, modern feel to it and I give them an impression score of 7.  It was very crowded and people were rude and anxiety was in the air.  One old guy yelled that the poor, swamped Starbucks was killing him because they only had artificial sugar to put in his coffee.  “Well toughen up cupcake and get over it.” (Quote from my book I am reading.)  Being in Tijuana makes you take a step back from your life, from your egotistical ideals, from your bias revelations.  It is so much different from our lives back home. Water that can make you sick, poverty that can make a man desperate to protect his own, garbage all over the lonely, dusty landscape, and barred windows and doors.  So if not getting the right kind of sugar in your coffee or even worse, that you can’t have sugar at all, is all you got to complain about.  Sounds like your living a pretty amazing life to me. Being in Tijuana makes you rethink the way you live, the way you think, and the way you treat the people around you.  Some people may think going to Tijuana is just a feel-joy-and-praise experience, they are very wrong.  Tijuana is alive, full of kind and strong people. Their culture is rich, and their hearts are inviting.  Helping people and building their hopes and dreams is not just a feel-joy, it helps encourages futures and helps make a life worth living.  Thank you for supporting me and helping me get their, mom.

1 comment:

  1. God bless all of you ..I will be praying for all of you, (though I only know One treker, well maybe three) that your week is safe and successful and all remain healthy and strong. A Canadian g-ma and another Fr. Tom

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message for the trek crew. Comments are moderated so they will not appear until they have been approved, generally within 24 hours. I will share all comments made by family members with Trekkers.
Thank you for your support and prayers.