We'll be serving with Esperanza International (www.esperanzaint.org) in developing and supporting communities by helping with different housing projects. We'll be working side by side with members of the community as well as the families whose homes we're helping to build. Through the humbling experience of working on someone's home together with various activities and interactions with the community, we're able to develop a deeper and lasting understanding of life in this part of Mexico and what it truly means to serve those in need beyond borders.

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Last Day


To everyone back at home,
I am coming back home tomorrow! As excited as I am at the thought of sleeping in my own bed again, I am also incredibly saddened by the thought that this week is actually over. I cannot believe it went so fast. The posada will always be a second home to me and it is always difficult to leave this place that has provided me with so many incredible memories.
Over the course of this week I witnessed miracles on a daily basis. Too many to count. I could write for ages about the numerous touching and eye-opening moments I experienced, but since there is only a limited amount of time  before I crash on my bunk bed and rest for the long day of travel tomorrow, I will share one particular experience that affected me greatly this week.
On the day we visited the orphanage, I was once again frustrated by the the communication barrier between me and the girls. Even though two especially outgoing and rambunctious girls had befriended me shortly after they had discovered how to take "selfies" with my camera, I had not discovered much about them other than their names: Wendy and Flora. After a while, a new group of girls walked up to me after they had finished playing soccer. To my surprise I instantly recognized one of the girls as someone who I had talked to with Daniel last year. Unable to remember how to say "I remember you!" In Spanish, I quickly blurted out "Los libros Harry Potter! Me llamo Maggie!"
The instant I saw the recognition in her eyes was like a small victory for me. She remembered. We quickly called over her friend, Abigail, that I had also talked to last year, and we chatted (in confused yet friendly Spanish/English) about how our lives had been since we'd last seen each other.
Before I left that day they quickly hugged me, scribbled their names on a piece of paper so I could friend them on Facebook, and left me with a smile on my face that would stay there for the rest of the week. I could not have asked for a more amazing experience and opportunity that day. I know that Fabiana and Abigail are two girls that I will hold close to my heart for the rest of my life.

- Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message for the trek crew. Comments are moderated so they will not appear until they have been approved, generally within 24 hours. I will share all comments made by family members with Trekkers.
Thank you for your support and prayers.